Spring Programs and Summer Camps. Pool Passes on sale now!
Sign up today!
The Spring Spectrum is available now
in all Park District facilities.
Read the virtual guide and download your copy.
Download the Summer Camp Guide.
Download just the pages and sections you want.
Registration for spring programs & summer camps is in progress!
The four most asked questions:
Is the Park District still going to PRINT the Spectrum Program and Events Guide?
YES! We will print about 9,000 copies each season. This represents a savings of many thousands of dollars.
Is the Park District still going to MAIL the Spectrum Program and Events Guide?
No. This will help us save many more thousands of dollars.
How will I get a copy of the Spectrum Program and Events Guide?
Copies will be in all Park District facilities, the Des Plaines Public Library, City Hall, the History Center and Frisbie Senior Center.
If you want a copy, you'll have no problem finding one in plenty of time to read it, plan your classes, and register.
How will I know when the Spectrum Program and Events Guide is available each season?
1) Our website, our Facebook page, and our Twitter feeds will announce the publication dates well in advance.
2) Information will be posted in our facilities, the Library, City Hall, History Center and Frisbie Senior Center.
3) All Park District Staff, including our instructors and coaches, will have a schedule of publication dates.
4) Park District newsletters will be sent via e-mail.
5) Information will be on our electronic sign at the entrance to Prairie Lakes.
6) Information will be on the City's electronic sign, on Miner Street at River Road.
7) Information will be on the City's cable TV channels #17 and #24.
8) Notices will be placed in local newspapers, in print and online.
9) Signs will be placed at our major parks and facilities. If you're driving around Des Plaines, you'll see them.
10) Skywriting. (Depending on the weather.)
. . .
Here's the full story of why we're making this change.
In the spring of 2013, we announced a simple change in the way we will distribute our seasonal program and events guide.
That change begins with the next issue of the Spectrum, which will be published in November 2013. Two forces guided this decision: the economy, and our commitment to being as environmentally friendly as possible.
Will you still be able to get a printed Spectrum?
YES! We know how important the Spectrum is to families and individuals in Des Plaines. It is still the best way for us to provide you with information about our many programs and events. It's a quick, easy way for you to find your favorite exercise class, learn about a new sports program for your child, and check when the pools will open. We know that you carry it with you to work and to the doctor's office, and that you sit with your family and look through the pages for things to do together. So do we! We love the Spectrum. What we don't love is that thousands of the brochures are simply thrown away each season because we're sending them to people who don't want one.
What are we doing?
1. We are reducing the number of Spectrum that we print each season from over 27,000 to under 10,000. This first step will save thousands of dollars.
2. We are eliminating the mailing of a brochure to every household address in Des Plaines. This second step will save many more thousands of dollars.
3. We are putting more Spectrum brochures into our facilities, to make it easier for you to get one. More brochures will be available at the Des Plaines Public Library, City Hall, and the History Center. If you want a printed copy of the Spectrum, you will not have any problem getting one.
4. We are using today's technology to communicate with you, so you will know when the Spectrum is available.
Will the Spectrum still be available online?
YES! We have many residents who prefer to read the Spectrum on a screen. The online version of the brochure will continue to be more interactive each season, to make it easier for you to find what you want and register right from your computer, tablet or smartphone.
Will the Spectrum only be available online in the future?
NO! We have no plans to discontinue production of the printed program guide. Technology is wonderful, but it's not right for everyone.
Do we need your help?
YES! Our recent surveys have provided us with a very positive response to this Going Green project, and we welcome your input.
E-mail us at Going Green. Talk to our staff. We also need you to spread the word about this initiative. Let your friends and neighbors know that the Spectrum will still be printed, and that copies of the Spectrum will be available every season in our facilities for everyone who wants one. Try the online registration system. To read more about it, Click Here.
The complete program guide, sections, and individual pages are available online 24/7. Click Here.
Copies of the Spectrum are available at all Park District facilities, as well as the Des Plaines Public Library,
the History Center, and City Hall.
See you around the parks!